Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Tennis Poster (Week 5)

Artist Statement
My concept was to create a poster promoting tennis. Tennis has been one of my hobbies for the past ten years; as a result I have created a poster to promote a tennis academy in my hometown of Woodbridge, Ontario. My goal is to attract a large audience into joining my academy. I wanted to create a poster that stands out, captures the audience’s attention and persuades them to further their knowledge about my academy. I was able to accomplish this by using the Impact font.
The target market for my tennis academy is males and females between eighteen to thirty-five years of age. It was difficult deciding what age group to target however that was immediately resolved when I chose the impact font. The impact font portrays seriousness and a level of professionalism within my academy. It also implies that one must be physically and mentally strong. The seriousness is also expressed in the catch phrase “Are You Ready”. The tennis academy is geared towards males and females looking to improve their on court performance, getting a good workout and having fun.
Based on my limited experience with fireworks, I decided to also use Photoshop. There were many skills used during the process of creating my poster. The first aspect that needed to be considered was the layout. I had many ideas however did not know how to transpire them. I had a picture from the Rexell Center, located in Toronto, Ontario, which I had taken when I went to go see a tennis event last summer. I decided to use that as my background; however I placed a filter called “Diffuse Glow” so that it had a professional look. Using fireworks I used the “Lasso” tool to cut out a picture of myself playing tennis. Next I decided what font and size I needed in order to attract my target audience. After looking for several types of fonts, I decided the impact font had the professional and bold look I was looking for. Using Fireworks and Photoshop I made the font larger, changed the white colour using effects so that it looked like a silver colour and decided to put a stroke around the font to give it a sharp vibe. The filters for the font included a drop and inner shadow, outer glow and gradient overlay. This gave the titles a professional look and made it clear my target market was for male and female adults.
There were many challenges and obstacles that were encountered while creating my poster. One challenge was finding out what picture to use. I had a great assortment of pictures however; the quality and resolution of them were not all professional in quality. As a result I had to take several photos at my local tennis court and decide which ones to choose. The second obstacle was eliminating the background in my picture, using the lasso tool. I brought the picture to Photoshop and used a filter called “Poster Edges” to give it an authentic and professional touch. Finally, choosing the right text was the last obstacle that I had to deal with. I decided to choose impact font. From there I had to decide which colour system to use. I decided that the spilt-complementary layout looked the most professional and appealing. Spilt-complementary colours consist of red, blue and gray.
The final outcome was a finished product that I was very proud of. I spent a lot of time on this poster but it was very rewarding to find out what someone can learn by experimenting with different features. I learned about various different types of fonts, different filters and the effects they had. My piece surpassed my envisioned goal, and looks like a real poster.
In Class Critique
The in-class critique session helped me realize some of the small errors I made in the process of creating my poster. One of the errors that Professor Henry quickly recognized was in regards to proximity. Proximity refers to a group of related items jointed together. Henry realized that the titles on the top and bottom were too close to the end of the page. Another small mistake was the gaps between the fonts. In some instances the gaps between fonts were larger than others. To conclude the major lesson learnt in the in-class critique session was the proximity mistake.

No comments: